Monday, October 18, 2010

A Fragment of Life

"I can’t be bothered. I can’t be bothered to ride, the motion is too violent. I can’t be bothered to walk, it’s too strenuous; I can’t be bothered to lie down, for either I’d have to stay lying down and that I can’t be bothered with, or I’d have to get up again, and I can’t be bothered with that either. In short: I just can’t be bothered."

Pre-existentialist literature is a tricky, but often wonderful mixture of the frantic irrationality of faith in dire and violent conflict with the often rampart vicissitudes of being and human experience. The above quote is an excerpt from Kierkegaard's "Either/Or, A Fragment of Life", a tumultuous, and often humorous, apology for the virtues of moral living in the face of the crude and insincere aesthetic that has since taken hold of humanity. Where the weight of one's own passions lie is best left to the virtues of the reader, but if there is one thing to be found in these pages is a mournful reflection of our struggles, internal and external, and how they pick at our conscience, dividing the inner being from the outer and perhaps even establishing a self-sustaining and simultaneously-existing duality of mankind prevalent in pre-secular (neoplatonic for example) writing and much later on, existentialist doctrines. I will try to gather what I can from Kierkegaard's work, no simple task mind you, his work is dense and extensive, but I believe it will be a worthwhile experience.

Time will tell, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment